Paradise Farm, Henrico County, Virginia
Paradise Farm (circa 1830)
Paradise has played an important role in the history of Henrico County. The house was built in 1830 by a builder named William Bosher. Thomas and Susannah Patterson bought the house in 1833. The house was named Paradise after the Paradise trees which were numerous on the farm at that time. Their eldest son, Dr. Richard Archibald Patterson, was a surgeon during the Civil War and a tobacco entrepreneur. Patterson Avenue was cut through the farm and named after Dr. Richard Patterson. The home remained in the Patterson family until the late 19th century.
The original farm is thought to have bordered Cheswick Plantation to the north and Ravenswood Plantation to the south. Its eastern boundaries are thought to have extended from what is now the University of Richmond to Forest Avenue.
The photographs above were taken 12/12/12, this morning and today below.